Scrabble is a classic and fun word game. The goal of the game is to get as many points as possible by forming words on a board that connects to the words created by the other players. To play Scrabble, you need at least one other player. You will also need an official Scrabble board with all its components. By playing the game, you will create words, accumulate points, challenge your opponents and even exchange tiles (if yours does not work). At the same time, a scorer will calculate the points of each player to determine who will win at the end of the game.
If you become a fan of the game, you can consider inviting your friends to play regularly, join a club or enter a tournament. Scrabble is a challenging game and it may be frustrating when you lose. In case you want to improve your chances of winning Scrabble, there are several strategies that may help you win more often. Of course, you will still need to work your Scrabble skills by playing it often or by using the scrabble dictionary!
Develop your Scrabble skills
- Learn to manage your shelf. One of the best ways to improve your chances of winning Scrabble is to learn to manage your shelf. It is possible to improve your chances of winning by doing things like mixing the tiles on the shelf to see how many words you can create, putting pieces of words together to make it easier to find places for word parts on the board and make sure you have a good balance of words. Vowels and consonants. Make sure to change some of your lyrics in case you have too many vowels. You should never have more than two or three vowels on your shelf. Why don’t you look for scrabble dictionary?
- Form words in special squares. Special squares (double letter, triple letter, double word and triple word) will give you the highest number of points in Scrabble. Therefore, it is a good idea to form words in these squares whenever possible. Doing so will increase your chances of winning the game.
- Form parallel words whenever possible. In Scrabble, it is usually possible to form your word together (or above or below) an existing word to create words of two additional letters besides yours. The points for these additional words are important and will increase your chances of winning the game
Get words with higher scores
- Memorize the words of high scores in Scrabble. Serious Scrabble players memorize lists of high-scoring words to improve their chances of winning. Although you do not need to memorize all the high scoring words to win, it is a good idea to know at least some of them.
- Try to memorize some of the two-letter high-punctuation words like “Jo”, “Qi” and “Za”. They are easy to remember because they are short and at the same time they are good enhancers for scoring.
- Use the “S” to get points from the best moves of your opponent. Although your opponent may not like it too much, it is possible to add an “S” to many words to get points easily. This strategy works best when the word is long, it is worth many points or the “S” falls in a special square. Look for any chance to add an “S” to some word from your opponent while you play.
- Lengthen words when possible. Create words that are also good enhancers in Scrabble.
- Try to create a 7 letter word. 7-letter words, also known as “bingo,” are also good enhancers. In addition to the points that are obtained by forming the word of 7 letters, add 50 additional points to your score. It is not always easy to find the way to create a 7 letter word, but it is possible that paying attention to your chips and or by using the scrabble dictionary and the words on the board you have the opportunity to create a “bingo!
Use advanced strategies
- Try to play the first one. Being the first to play in Scrabble, you have more possibilities in your favour. It is possible that you cannot control the order of play since the player who opens the game is chosen at random (by shuffling the chips). However this will help you to know that in the games you open the game, you will have an important advantage. In case you get to be the first, make sure your first word gives you an advantage. For example, in case you have a five-letter word that you can add in the next turn, line it up to get a bonus. Keep in mind that this is somewhat risky because your opponent may also benefit from this strategy.
- Play based on your advantage. It may help you stay in the lead or get in the lead by playing certain types of words. In case you are losing, the best thing you can do is play words that open the board and give you opportunities to achieve better plays. In case you are in the lead, you must play words that keep the board closed to your opponent to reduce their chances of achieving better moves
- Block all special squares. Advanced Scrabble players always think about what their opponents can do. Get used to consider what your opponent’s next move might be in case you play a certain word and try to block any special squares he can use during his turn.
Keep in mind that it is not always possible to block the opponent, but if you manage to do so when possible, it will help you stay ahead and win the game.
- Do not be discouraged. Your skills will increase as you play more games.
- Play against someone who is better than you and ask for advice.
- Experienced Scrabble players often share their wisdom with new players.